Saturday 19 April 2014

Easter Bunny Cake

Easter is my favourite time of the year; chocolate aside, it's the crafting that I love!  From making Easter bonnets, painting eggs and making Easter bakes, there's lots of projects for me to unleash my creativity on...

When it comes to baking, I am no expert, in fact I have had quite a few disasters....  But with each attempt I like to think that I am improving.  So today I attempted my first Easter bake; which was a sponge cake with raspberry jam and buttercream filling and then covered in fondant icing.  I then painted on an Easter bunny illustration using Squires Kitchen Edible Paints.  

Here's the pics:

 I know the fondant icing is a little lumpy as I have no experience in putting it on.  But I am sure I will improve with practice.



This was my first attempt at using edible paints so I was very pleased with my first try.  I feel there's lots of potential for making interesting cakes using them.



Best of all it tasted delicious!

Recipe used:

Sponge cake
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 200g softened butter
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp milk
You then heat the oven to 180c and cream together the sugar and butter, once light and fluffy add the eggs and milk.  Lastly sift the flour and baking powder together and fold in until fully incorporated.  The less mixing the better to keep the cake light.  Divide between two cake tins and cook for around 20-25 minutes.  Cake is cooked when a skewer inserted in to the middle comes out clean.

Once cooled you smother one half in buttercream and the other half in raspberry jam.  Put together and then smother outside in buttercream and then smooth fondant icing over.  Then paint on your required design using Squires Kitchen Edible Paints.

This is my entry in to the wonderful competition being run over at The Pink Whisk.  More details here:


No comments:

Post a Comment