Tuesday 23 March 2010

Childhood Innocence

I love moments when you get to see the naivety of childhood. Embarking on a Sunday lunch out for the first time in ages I was greeted with two little incidents. Nothing major, just moments that will go by and be forgotten if I don't write about them. The first was seven year old son making a start on his Sunday dinner. The first thing he put in to his mouth with a really inquisitive face was ........ a lump of gravy. Obviously my cooking is too good for him to know what lumps in the gravy are (I love you Bisto!). The face following was a pure look of disgust. It's only a little thing, but I just wanted to scoop him up in my arms like I did when he was a baby and protect him from all things unknown. His face prior to tasting was such a look of happy innocence.

Then there was son number two, aged 14 months, who happily swiped a serviette off the table and proceeded to wipe imaginary food away from his mouth. No problems there I thought, until a doddery old man was seated on the table next to us. On passing us he had to manoeuvre the small space between our table and his, and 14 month old son obviously thought that this was perfect opportunity to use the serviette to wipe the old man's bum for him. It happened too quickly to stop him and I have laughed and cringed in equal measure since then...

The innocence of children that allows them to do these things....

Have you encountered any funny incidents like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment